The A Diploma focusses on developing and refining the student coach’s capacity to meet the demands of coaching elite youth and top level senior amateur players in a performance environment.
The A Diploma was designed for those coaching Elite Youth, College, University and/or Professional players. Priority acceptance will be given to those actively coaching in those environments.
• Valid Canadian B Licence or approved International Equivalent that has been held for a minimum of 12 months
• Currently coaching a team in the context noted above
• Valid Criminal Record Check
Coaches can expect to commit up to 300 hours to complete the A Diploma excluding any instances where work needs to be revised and re-assessed.
• 2 x 4.5 days
• in-person (classroom & field)
• independent online learning (asynchronous)
• collaborative online learning (synchronous)
• collaborative group learning (mentor supported)
• reality-based learning (i.e. in the coach’s specific context)
Coaches must attend 100% of the in-person and online sessions to be licensed.
In-person sessions will occur in August & January each year. On-line sessions will be held twice per month typically on Monday evenings.
Upon successful completion of the A Diploma, the coach will receive a coaching licence valid for three (3) years. The licence may be maintained by following the Canada Soccer Maintenance and Renewal Process.
• Application Window: Open from January 2 – March 31 each year. The application form will be turned off at the end of the business day on March 31. No applications received after this time will be eligible for consideration.
• Application Review: All applicants will be screened during the months of April and May, with responses to all applicants no later than May 31. Please Note: if necessary, applicants will be interviewed to finalize course selection.
• Selected candidates will have thirty (30) days to accept their place on the course and pay the course fee in full. If a selected candidate rejects their place on the course, it will be offered to the next suitable candidate.
COURSE FEE: $4,000
Course Fees Include: Mentor support throughout course; access to all content delivered during the course; in-person classroom and field rentals; tools used to deliver the in-person, online asynchronous, and online synchronous sessions; and Canada Soccer branded Nike equipment (not including boots and trainers).
Coaches will be required to cover the costs of travel, accommodations, and meals when attending the in-person sessions. Any costs associated with video recording of practical coaching sessions will be at the coach’s expense.