The Goalkeeper Diploma prepares the student coach to meet the demands of coaching youth and senior amateur players in a development environment.
The Goalkeeper Diploma was designed for those coaching youth and senior players in an academy and/or team environment. Priority acceptance will be given to those actively coaching in those environments.
• Valid Canadian C Licence or approved International Equivalent
• Currently coaching Youth and/or Senior players
• Valid Criminal Record Check
• Completion of Provincial / Territorial Course (if applicable)
Online: August 21, 2024
• Independent Online Learning (asynchronous)
• Collaborative Online Learning (synchronous) twice per month
• Reality Based Learning (coach’s environment)
Please note, there are no in-person group sessions for this course. All coaches will be expected to use their environment to apply what is learned during the asynchronous and synchronous sessions.
• Developing a Coaching Philosophy for the Development Environment
• Transformational Leadership & Coaching
• Mental Health & Wellbeing
• Physical, Cognitive and Social-Emotional development of youth and senior players
• Designing and managing a seasonal plan
• Guiding principles when coaching Youth & Senior Goalkeepers
• Safe sport on and off the field
• Analysing individual performance and basic match analysis
• Understanding the roles and responsibilities of all playing positions
• Analysing the performance and development of youth players
• Understanding the development of individual and team tactical strategies for Youth & Senior Goalkeepers
• Designing and delivering effective goalkeeper focussed training sessions
• Using technology to facilitate learning
• Effective communication and presentation skills
• Laws of the Game
Course Outcomes :
Upon successful completion of the Goalkeeper Diploma, the coach will be able to demonstrate the competencies associated with coaching and managing youth and senior goalkeepers in a development environment, including designing, delivering, and reflecting on all aspects of on and off field activities.
Coaches will be assessed throughout the course using the following tools:
1. Personal Development Plan,
2. Reflection Journal,
3. Practice Session Logbook,
4. Baseline & Midpoint Practical Coaching Video,
5. Capping Project
Course Schedules :
Coaches will receive a detailed course schedule upon successful admission into the Goalkeeper Diploma.
Licence Validity :
Upon successful completion of the Goalkeeper Diploma – the coach will receive a coaching licence valid for three (3) years. The licence may be maintained by following the Canada Soccer Maintenance and Renewal Process.
Admission Process :
Application Window: Open from January – March 31 each year. The application form will be turned off at the end of the business day on March 31. No applications received after this time will be eligible for consideration.
Application Review: All applicants will be screened during the months of April and May, with responses to all applicants no later than May 31. Please Note: if necessary, applicants will be interviewed to finalize course selection.
Selected candidates will have thirty (30) days to accept their place on the course and pay the course fee in full. If a selected candidate rejects their place on the course, it will be offered to the next suitable candidate.
COURSE FEE: $$3,150.00
Course Fees Include: Canada Soccer branded Nike equipment (not including boots and trainers); tools used to deliver the online asynchronous, and online synchronous sessions; all practical and theory assessments during the Goalkeeper Diploma, and coach developer support throughout the workshop.
Coaches will be required to cover the costs of travel, accommodations, and meals when attending the in-person sessions. Any costs associated with video recording of practical coaching sessions will be at the coach’s expense.